This classic date, walnut & banana loaf is perfectly moist, not overly sweet and packed full of flavour.
I have been experimenting with this date, walnut & banana loaf for a while and I am finally happy with the outcome. I have the fondest memories of baking with my gran as a little girl, me kneeling on a kitchen chair so that I could be tall enough to see exactly what she was doing. One of the cakes she loved baking was a Date & Walnut Loaf, as it was a family favourite. My gran would often let me mix and add ingredients because I would nag to assist her and she would rather give in than listen to my constant groaning and mumbling… It makes me smile just thinking of those good old days!
I used the date & walnut loaf as a base recipe but made a few alterations. I wanted my recipe to include banana as this meant that I could drop the sugar quantity. I added sour cream as it adds to the moisture and mouthfeel of the loaf. I also recall the days my grandmother softened the dates in a bicarb and hot water mix, but to be honest I prefer the use of freshly chopped dates, which means the “softening” step is not required in this recipe.
A few weeks ago I went on a spur of the moment holiday to the Wilderness (Africamps Wilderness) and I had a bunch of ripe bananas and some leftover sour cream in the fridge. I thought that instead of letting those ingredients go to waste I will make a date, walnut & banana loaf to take with as it really a quick recipe to put together. This loaf does not require anything further to be done to it once baked which adds to its simplicity although you can add some butter if desired.
I discovered that this loaf makes for easy travelling as I sliced it before leaving home and then just wrapped it up securely. Now tell me, is there a better way to enjoy a pit stop than with a slice of date, walnut & banana loaf in one hand and a coffee in the other? In my opinion, I would say, NO as this combo was the perfect match. The leftovers were had for breakfast the next morning as this loaf keeps really well. It can also be easily frozen and taken out at a later time.
If you ever find yourself with a bunch of overripe bananas on the shelf, then why not give this super delicious Date, Walnut & Banana Loaf a try and please let me know what you think. Your comments are most welcome!
Date, Walnut & Banana Loaf
- 125 grams Butter
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 cup *Ripe Banana's (Mashed)
- 150 grams Dates (Fresh, Chopped)
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups *Spelt Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 50 grams Walnuts (Chopped)
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius.
- Mix the sugar and the butter until combined. Add the eggs one at a time until light and fluffy. Add the mashed banana, chopped dates, sour cream and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Sift dry ingredients together and slowly fold into the wet mixture. Finally fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour the mixture into a greased loaf tin (Garnish with nuts if you desire) and bake for 55 - 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in tin for 5 - 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Ensure loaf is completely cooled before slicing. Enjoy!