A well balanced aromatic stew with tender pieces of chicken and chunks of sweet potato that breaks up and melts in the mouth.
This chicken and sweet potato stew has become a family favourite in our home as it is packed full of flavour. It is an aromatic, hearty dish that is quick and easy to put together and is perfect for those cooler autumn or winter evenings. This recipe is an adaption of Cumin Chicken with Sweet Potatoes from the book Evita’s Kossie Sikelela by Evita Bezuidenhout.
Anyone that knows me well, knows that chicken is one of my personal favourites and for that matter, just pass me some Nandos chicken and then we talking. But in my opinion, chicken makes a delightful appearance in any dish and married together with sweet potato and some aromatics, it really does produce something spectacular. This chicken and sweet potato stew can be placed somewhere in between a stew and a casserole but you can decide that for yourself. What I can assure you is that this dish is simple, delicious and dinner/lunch worthy!
This entire dish is prepared in an oven roaster with a lid and cooked in the oven from start to finish, which makes it pretty easy. A casserole dish will also work as an alternative if you do not have an oven roaster.
How to make this chicken & sweet potato stew
- Saute the onions and garlic
- Add chicken, cumin, coriander, cinnamon sticks, salt, freshly milled black pepper to taste and cook
- Add apples, sweet potato chunks (not cut too small as it will break up during the cooking process), chicken stock and chilli jam. If you do not have chilli jam you can add brown sugar and it will work perfectly! Allow it to do its thing in the oven and you will be left with deliciousness – a hearty caramelised chicken and sweet potato stew
- Garnish with fresh coriander – please don’t miss this step as the coriander lifts this dish to a new level.
- Serve alone or with rice/vegetables
If you make this recipe, I would love to hear about it!
Please do leave a comment below
Thank you for reading, until next time, stay blessed!
Chicken & Sweet Potato Stew
- Roaster with lid / Casserole dish with lid
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- ± 800 Grams Skinless Chicken Drumsticks & Thighs (Bone-in) [8 pieces]
- 2 Large Onions, chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Teaspoons Cumin (Ground)
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander (Milled)
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Black Pepper (Freshly Ground)
- 2 Apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 800 Grams Sweet Potato, peeled & cut into medium-size chunks
- 2 Tablespoons Chilli Jam / Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock
- Fresh Coriander to garnish
- Preheat oven to 190°C
- Heat oil in the oven roaster with lid. Add onions and garlic and sautè for 10 – 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Add chicken pieces, cumin, coriander, cinnamon sticks, salt and freshly ground pepper to the pan and stir to make sure it is well blended. Allow to cook for 20 minutes. Stir halfway through the cooking time.
- Add apples, sweet potato chunks, chicken stock and sweet chilli jam/ brown sugar and stir until well combined. Cook for 15 minutes, stir and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Turn oven to 220°C. Remove the lid from the oven roaster and allow it to brown for around 10 minutes. This will cause a wonderful caramelisation to take place in the dish and the sweet potato would have absorbed the liquid and softened to a degree leaving you with a wonderful hearty chicken & sweet potato stew.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve! This delicious meal can be served alone or with rice/vegetables.
This website provides approximate nutritional information for convenience and as a courtesy only.